10 Easy Steps to get in shape for 2020!
People ask me daily for my advice on how to get in better shape, lose weight or simply FEEL better. My answer is always a simple, make the decision to do so.
Getting healthy is relatively easy, it just takes discipline to make different (note different, not difficult) choices. I honestly do not understand the game of russian roulette so many of you are playing. You are willing to risk your health, your most precious commodity, because you lack the discipline to make make better choices? Why wait until your health is in jeopardy to make it a priority?
Here is my top 10 list of what I think are the most important first steps in your fitness journey. If this seems overwhelming, pick one to master for an entire week before moving on to the next. And if you get stuck along the way or something just isn’t working – come see me! We can definitely help you get on track.
Cheers to a healthy 2020!
10 EASY Steps to (finally) get in shape for 2020!
- Breathe! Take a few minutes daily to concentrate on your breathing. Deep breathing can help lower stress in the body. It sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax, allowing your body to function properly.
- Make time for yourself; whether it is in the gym, going for a run, or simply spending time alone. It is important to understand that your body and your mind need the break. Be mindful of your mental health. Stress can lead to weight gain, poor immune system and un-necessary body aches and pains.
- Learn the art of self discipline. This might be hard at first, but once you start seeing the results, it becomes much easier. Set healthy perimeters for yourself to help eliminate unnecessary stress.
- Drink more water. Period. Water can jump start your metabolism, as well as flush out toxins, but which in turn help you lose weight. Pretty easy start to your weight loss journey.
- Make better food choices! Choose more proteins, vegetables & fruits and stay far, far away from the white sugar, highly processed, long shelf-life foods. We are learning that the preservatives in these foods might very well be a culprit in the high level of disease and cancer in our society today.
- Eat in moderation. The world will not end if you do not eat that entire batch of cookies. Healthy eating is a balance of the foods you enjoy and the foods that keep your body working properly. You don’t have to be 100% all the time. Eating “clean” 80% of the time is a very good start to powering up your system.
- Eat three or more servings of fruits and vegetables per day! These are loaded with the nutrients you need to fuel your body. Proper nutrition is KEY to getting your body back! Same as you fuel your car with gas, you need to fuel your body with good foods.
- The biggie – EXERCISE! Your body is designed to move. This is no different than eating and breathing. Making the decision to get healthy, means making the decision to move. You do not have to workout for hours a day, but do carve out 30 minutes per day. That is 2% of your day and you are not that busy.
- Get more sleep. Period. Sleep gives your body time to recover, conserves energy, repairs muscle tissue and improves your immune system. So please, put down the social media and shut off the tv at night. Much needed sleep will 100% affect your fitness results.
- Value your health and make it a priority, not only for yourself, but for your loved ones. You want your children and spouse to be healthy and they want the same for you! I hope your goal is to live a a long, healthy life with your children and loved ones. Is that really worth putting on the back burner?